Get your paperwork in order for your car

Whether you’re buying or selling a car through DoneDeal, it’s important to ensure you look after the paperwork and that the ownership is transferred correctly A big concern for anyone buying a second hand car is whether or not the car belongs to the person selling it. How can buyers protect themselves from unscrupulous sellers? Car history The first step is to do a quick vehicle background check by entering the registration number currently on the car on a website such as . You’ll immediately know if the number plates don’t match the car description (make, model). For a fee, this website will also run a history on the car. This can include checking for any finance owed, whether it was ever written-off, if it’s been reported stolen and a detailed road tax and NCT history. Cars registered in Ireland Before you buy a second hand car with an Irish registration number, the seller must be able to supply the following: all relevant registration documents – always check that all details listed on documents match the car’s physical description cars sold before the 1 January 1993 have all their details contained in a logbook cars sold up to 2004 have a Vehicle Registration Cert (VRC) and a Licensing Cert (RF101) newer cars just have a VRC Without this required documentation, you will not be able to register the car in your own name, or tax and insure the car. Lost documents If you’re a seller and can’t find your registration documents, you can contact Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shannon, Co. Clare for replacement copies. Transfer of ownership New and used cars sold or traded-in within Ireland must register change of ownership. If not, the seller will continue to receive notifications (such as parking/speeding fines). Failure to notify the local Motor Tax Office of ownership changes could lead to heavy penalties. Both seller and buyer fill out all appropriate details on the Vehicle Licensing Certificate, Vehicle Registration Certificate, or form RF105 (if the buyer is a motor dealer) in order for a new VRC to be issued. Tax and insurance Once you’ve been issued with a Vehicle Registration Cert, you can then tax and insure your car. Motor tax refunds are not issued in the case of a car being sold, so sellers should factor this into the sale price. Additional paperwork It is advisable to ask the seller for: a general written warranty, if possible a written warranty that the mileage on the odometer is accurate a signed receipt of payment Imports If the car hasn’t already been registered in Ireland, the new owner needs to book an appointment at their local National Car Testing Service (NCTS) centre to have the car examined and to pay the Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) that’s due. If the car doesn’t meet the standards, or if required documentation is not presented, it cannot be registered. So be wary before you consider buying a car from a private seller that’s not registered in Ireland – extra money will have to be paid on the VRT on top of what you pay the seller. #Motor